What information do we collect?
Information You Provide
We and our service providers collect any information that you provide when you use the Platform, including when you create an account, make a contribution, participate in our message boards or forums, participate in polls and surveys, or otherwise contact us with a question, comment, or request. The information that you provide can include, but is not limited to, (a) your name, address, phone number, email, username, password, and other registration information; (b) contribution-related information, such as your occupation and employer, date of contribution, contribution amount and information you provide to make a payment; (c) your views on the candidates, the subject matter of the discussion or other message board posts or questions or responses to polls and surveys; and (d) information you provide us when you contact us.
Information Automatically Collected From You
We and our service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer or mobile device when you use the Platform, such as your Internet Protocol address, your browser type, your operating system, the pages you view on the Platform, the pages you view immediately before and after you access the Platform, and the search terms you enter on the Platform. This information allows us to, for example, recognize you and personalize your experience if you return to the Platform, and to improve the Platform and the services we provide. We and our service providers may collect this information using “cookies,” which are small text files that are saved on your computer using your web browser, or similar technologies. The information we collect also might include your location information. Various technologies can help us determine location, including your IP address, GPS and other sensors that may, for example, provide us with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points and mobile towers. Our mobile applications may collect precise information about the location of your mobile device, but only with your consent.
How do we use this information?
We, and our affiliates and subsidiaries, may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- inviting people to join events or otherwise view or participate in the Platform;
- posting blog entries about events;
- engaging in social media efforts to promote events;
- sending emails to individuals with information about Internet Association and IA PAC;
- engaging in online advertising on our websites and third-party websites and social media;
- providing you with products, services, or information you request;
- providing you with information about the Platform or required notices;
- delivering marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- customizing your experience when using the Platform, such as by providing interactive or personalized elements on the Platform and providing you with content based on your information;
- allowing us to improve the Platform and the services we provide, such as by better tailoring our content to our users’ needs and preferences;
- generating and analyzing statistics about your use of the Platform;
- helping our advertisers and sponsors better understand our users (we only use de-identified information for such purposes);
- such other uses within the context of the foregoing uses.
We also may combine or aggregate any of the information we collect through the Platform or elsewhere for any of these purposes, including delivering targeted advertisements that are based on your previous online activity on the Platform or on other websites.
Under what circumstances do we disclose this information?
We may disclose the information we collect from you through the Platform:
- to service providers who work on our behalf in furtherance of our operations;
- to candidates and event hosts for compliance with federal law;
- to business partners who may deliver marketing communications, promotional materials, or advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- to candidates and their agents;
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or to comply with government reporting obligations;
- to our affiliates and subsidiaries; and
- to affiliates, service providers, advisors, and other third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets.
In addition, we may share de-identified reports on user demographics and traffic patterns, as well as de-identified information, with third parties.
Third-Party Content and Activity
The Platform also may contain links to content or integrated content (like embedded videos) provided by third parties. The information practices of those third parties may differ from ours. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such third parties that are not under our control. We encourage you to consult the privacy policies of any third party that provides content that you access through the Platform as we do not control and are not responsible for the information that they collect, use, or share. Because your web browser may obtain integrated content directly from third-party servers, the third parties may be able to collect information as if you had visited their sites directly. Some of the third parties that may provide content on our Platform facilitate online advertising, analytics, or research may use technologies to track your online activities over time and across various websites and other online services.
The Platform may be hosted on or events viewed from a candidate’s website or another third-party website not affiliated with the Internet Association or IAPAC. If you choose to interact with the host website or the third-party website displaying the event, that website will receive the information you provide and also may automatically collect information about your usage of the website. The owners or controllers of the host website or third-party website may use, share, transfer, display, publish, rent, or sell this information in accordance with its privacy policies. Please review the privacy policies of the host website to learn more about its data handling practices.
Where is this information processed?
Information collected through the Platform will be processed in and subject to the laws of the United States, which may not provide the same level protection for your personal information as your home country, and may be available to the United States government or its agencies under a lawful order made in the United States. In addition, we may transfer your information outside the United States to our affiliates, business partners, and service providers located in other countries. By using the Platform, you consent to such transfer to, and processing in, the United States and these other countries.
How is your information secured?
We strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to safeguard the information collected by the Platform. However, no information system can be 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we are not responsible for the security of information you transmit to the Platform over networks that we do not control, including the Internet and wireless networks.
If your contact information changes, if you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us or to have us share your information with third parties for marketing purposes, or if you wish to inquire about the information we have collected about you, please submit a request at the contact information listed below.
The Platform is not directed to, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 13. If you become aware that your child or any child under your care has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us at the contact information listed below.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you reside in California and have provided your personally identifiable information to us, you may request information once per calendar year about our disclosures of certain categories of your personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.